Tuesday, September 14, 2010

and then i flew solo...

Japan is incredible. 

I've ditched Tokyo, split ways from my buddy-- and ventured off solo. Activated my Rail Pass--- which from here on out will be referred to as 'by far the sweetest thing I've ever invested in' (other then my bike, and maybe dental floss)... Caught 3 different trains from Tokyo down to Osaka. Got lost outside of Sakuranomiya, yet managed to make about 8 new friends (all either under the age of 15, or over the age of 112) from the station to here.

Where is here you ask?
Well, to be honest-- a place I will be leaving as soon as I wake up.

Two words: weird vibe. 
Oh, and there are pee stains on this futon. 

I've forgotten how traveling intensifies everything. Within familiar surroundings, internal conversations are at worst mere mood swings. While home, bad days are totally manageable. That said, once outside of 'the grind,' away from what's comfortable-- the tiniest insecurities become these massive entities-- rolling out of nowhere, and more often then not-- wildly dangerous.

It's no coincidence that today-- my first real day traveling solo, brought about these incredible highs, as well as nearly debilitating lows. High: frolicking down the street with a crew of elementary school girls--- their only English including 'Hi!' and 'Bye Bye!' Low: discovering cucumber on my sandwich (GOD I HATE CUCUMBER). High: Train adventure to The Clash--- watching Tokyo yield to Japan's beautiful countryside. ie: Mountains! Trees! Rivers! Low: overanalyzing every past relationship (failed, mind you)  from the aforementioned train window. High: Wandering about Osaka. Low: Staying the night in Osaka. High: Finding my dental floss, packed snugly under my dirty laundry. Low: Knowing that after I close my laptop, I'm going to have to endure 'The Weird Vibe,' and sleep on this giant pee spot. 

Sigh. On that note. I'm leaving for Kyoto tomorrow, where I plan to stay for at least a couple nights. After that, I'm headed back out to the countryside--- where I'll be hitting Naoshima... a tiny little island...
more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment